If I could have looked into a crystal ball when I was a child, I would have seen that I would one day start my OWN company.
My own company? Me? Wow! You go girl!
The younger version of me would think, “That’s what a business owner in the year 2013 looks like? Where’s the business suit? The fireplace in your office and the fancy bar? The limo waiting outside? That’s not very glamorous.”
No, being a business owner isn’t the most glamorous life — at least not for me. Most people think I’m a stay-at-home mom (and I am that too) — but they don’t realize that I’m raising a business at the same time. In their defense, I don’t get them many clues. I don’t “look” the part.
But business owners, especially these days, come in all shapes and sizes. Some wear jeans while others wear suits. Some drive BMWs while others drive minivans. Some make millions while others make thousands.
Despite the differences in our outward appearances, we have many similarities.
- We are self-driven people who want to make our mark in this world.
- We have really good days — and really bad days.
- We are independent — and we value our independence greatly.
- We like to learn, but can be stubborn about seeing our own vulnerabilities sometimes.
- We are disciplined — work now and play later.
- We are daring. Starting a business is pretty scary stuff!
- We seek fulfillment more than money (but money is a close second!).
- We are hard workers.
- We start off thinking we know everything, but soon realize that we don’t know everything and once we start to lean on other people, our businesses really take off.
- We would rather eat nails than work for someone else!